Bariatric Surgery/Surgical Weight Loss
Since launching the KCH Surgical Weight Loss program in 2002, the team has done well over 800 surgeries using the Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Procedure, endorsed by the National Institute of Health as an effective medical treatment for severe (morbid) obesity.
Medical science has clearly established that morbid obesity is a critical health issue, with statistics demonstrating that life expectancies are dramatically shorter for people who are severely overweight. The gastric bypass surgical procedure helps patients increase what otherwise may be a shortened life expectancy because of conditions associated with severe obesity such as heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, orthopedic problems and clinical depression.
Bariatric and general surgeon Renato Simon, MD, FACS heads this program which provides the surgery for people who are 75-100 pounds or more over their ideal body weight.
At KCH, Dr. Simon and his team counsel potential candidates for gastric bypass surgery, as well as provide close follow-up with each person who has surgery.
During gastric bypass surgery, a permanent major operation, the stomach is stapled to limit its capacity to two to three ounces. Then, the lower, or distal, stomach is bypassed thus the procedure’s name. Food enters the small stomach pouch, casing the patient to feel full quite quickly before the pouch slowly empties into the intestine through the newly constructed stomach-intestine opening.
The procedure does not eliminate the desire or liking for food.
Bariatrc bypass surgery usually takes 2-3 hours, followed by recovery in the ICU for 12-24 hours. After about three days of additional recovery time in a regular hospital room and you can tolerate liquids, you’ll head home.
Candidates for gastric bypass surgery include those who:
- Are willing to make necessary life changes in eating habits
- Don’t have medical problems that make surgery/anesthesia too hazardous
- Are aged 18-65
- Are at least 100 pounds beyond the recommended weight for your age, height and gender
- Have a calculated Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 and the presence of conditions above, or BMI of 40 and the absence of conditions
- Have medical conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, chronic lower back pain, osteoarthritis, pulmonary function abnormalities, hiatal hernia, esophagitis
- Agree to accept the outcome of surgery, sign an informed consent for surgery, cooperate with long-term follow-up
- Do not have medical conditions linked to obesity, such as thyroid dysfunction
Notes from our patients:
- It was wonderful to see you all again and share the excitement of my weight loss and new found health with you. Thank you for making this possible! …Linda
- I was a Bariatric patient and at 7 weeks post-op I have lost 61 lbs. Thank you for the wonderful care you all gave me. … Stephanie
- To the Wonderful Kane Staff, ICU Nurses, Dr. Simon and his Staff…thank you! The gastric surgery I had was the first surgery I ever had. You all made a scary situation much less scary with your patience, understanding and first-rate tender care. Thank you again. …Judy O.
- Dear Dr. Simon and Staff… Thanks to all the staff of the Bariatric program, without the support and the guidance to get through the hassle of the insurance company and finally locating a psychologist for the evaluation, we would not have been able to get to this point. My recovery is going well… Thanks again. …David B.
- To all the staff at the Kane Bariatric Center. Thank you so much for all your help. I know I am just getting started, but thank you for helping me with taking this big step in my life. Thank you, Lakisha
- To my KCH Bariatric Family… Special people like you make the world a better place for others….thank you. …Musu.
- Only the warmest “Thank You” will do for people as nice and as special as you! Thank you all for all the hard work and extra special care you have given me….Roxann.
- I just wanted you all to know how much your help and care has meant to me. I have come a long way with your help, I look better, feel better and am better. Thank you. …Norena “Kay”
- I would like to thank all of the staff of the Bariatric Clinic for all of your dedication and hard work. Without every one of you, this miracle to save my life would not be possible. Thank you all. …Patty K
- Thank you so much for all of your support in my choice to have my surgery. It has been 2 weeks now, and I have already lost 24 pounds! I feel great and am off to a great new beginning! Thank you! Amy R
- Thank you so much for everything you’ve done for us before, during and after our surgeries. You’ve gone above and beyond for us and your kindness through it all has meant so much! …Mike and Carla C.
- I want to thank you for the opportunity for a new lease on life. You were very patient with me and all my questions and concerns. Dr. Simon is a very pleasant man with a nice bedside manner. I enjoyed my stay at KCH. Everyone was very helpful and informative. Thank you so much for the care. …Becky Jo P.
- I want to thank you for everything that everybody has done for me. Everyone has been really nice and concerned. This has meant a lot to me. Thanks again. I will keep in touch. ….JoseAnn P.
- I want to thank you all for your kindness and care you brought to me when I was at KCH. You all are very special people. God Bless You All Always, Special Thanks to the staff for being such wonderful people. …Cathleen L.